Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Baking bread and what's for supper.

So today I needed to make bread and was thinking what I could do for supper that I could fit into my plan for baking.  Runzas came to mind. 

Runzas are a bread pocket filled with burger, onions, and cabbage.  They are SO good, especially spread with garlic butter just before devouring.


For the dough, use my Whole Wheat Bread  recipe, and when you are at the loaf forming stage, measure 10-12 1/4 lb dough pieces for the runzas. Form the rest of the dough into loaves and you have killed 2 birds with 1 stone.  Let the dough rest and raise while you make the innards of the runzas.
 
Saute:
Sm. Onion Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic Minced
1/2 Can Vegetarian Burger

Add:
1 Sm head Cabbage chopped
2 C Water
3-4 T Cornstarch
2 T Chicken like seasoning
1 t. Salt
Stir till thickened and cabbage is softening.

So here I have rolled one of the 1/4 lb dough pieces into an 8-10 inch round and put about 2/3C of filling in the center leaving space around the edge for sealing the dough together.

I have folded the dough over and pressed around the edges with a fork.  It is very important to not get any of the filling around the edge because the moisture will prevent the dough from sticking together.

You can see in the bottom left of this picture that I got too much filling in that runza therefore it would not seal. 

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 min or till nicely browned.

First pan out of the oven. 

And I had to dig in right away and get that garlic butter melting. 

 And in other news, I finally had to trash my dish washing gloves because they got a hole in the finger tonight while I was doing dishes.  But not to worry, I will be getting more!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Runzas! Do they Freeze well? Thanks for the update on the gloves! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, thanks for asking...they do freeze well after they have been baked! And I'm glad you care that much about my gloves that you were glad for the update!!

    ReplyDelete